Founded in 1861, Chapman University is one of the oldest, most prestigious private universities in California. Originally called Hesperian College, the school later merged with California Christian College in Los Angeles. In 1934, the institution was renamed in honor of Charles C. Chapman, an Orange County entrepreneur and benefactor of the school. The college moved to its current location in downtown Orange, Calif. in 1954. In 1991, the college again changed its name to Chapman University, reflecting its evolution into a comprehensive institution of higher learning.