Universal Metro’s Estimation Lead, Victoria Turkich, receives award for young professionals making a difference in flooring
“February 2021 — Challenging times require exceptional leadership, and 2020 showed just how critical that can be. Across the country, young men and women in the flooring industry were rising to the challenge, from establishing safety protocols for staff amid a pandemic to helping their communities’ most vulnerable populations, and their creative and thoughtful solutions drew the attention of colleagues and peers.
Each year, the Emerging Leaders Awards recognizes the outstanding talent of people under 40 like these within the dealer/retailer/contractor sector. And this year saw the largest pool of submissions in the award’s history, which was judged by field veterans Ralph Boe and Paul Friederichsen. Among the winners are a president, vice presidents, managers and directors, all of whom are bringing new perspectives and fresh ideas to the flooring world and shaping the future of the industry.
This year’s winners are as follows:
Jessica Hansen, 34 – Workplace Services, sales and finance manager;
Tyson Merchand, 36 – Great Floors, Spokane commercial division manager;
Matt Bode, 31 – CB Flooring, vice president;
Christian Braid, 39 – Prairie Flooring, co-founder;
Mechelle DeScroches, 37 – Pavillion Floors, director of operations;
Jake Peterson, 36 – Albany Carpet One, store manager;
Palmer Johnson, 35 – Johnson Floor and Home Carpet One, vice president
Andrew Marden, 35 – CFS Interiors and Flooring, account manager;
Victoria Turkich, 26 – Universal Metro, Estimation Lead
• Earned a bachelor’s degree in construction management from California Baptist University
• Has worked at Universal Metro for nearly 12 years, having started when she was in high school as an executive assistant
• Has supported tens of millions of dollars in successful bid-ding efforts
• Developed new standard operating procedures for her team, including a communal bid calendar, a project backlog data entry system and the standardization of estimation resources
• Supports business development and specification efforts and researching customized solutions with vendor partners
Erin Wyatt, 38 – Paradise Carpet One Floor and Home, director of sales ”
To read the article, honoring Victoria and other winners, see more here: https://www.floordaily.net/floorfocus/2021-emerging-leaders-young-professionals-are-making-a-big-difference-in-the-flooring-commun
It’s worth noting that in 2017, Universal Metro’s President, Grant Petruzzelli, also won this notable award. Victoria’s win marks the second time that a Universal Metro staff member under 40 years of age has been recognized for their leadership in the flooring industry by Floor Focus Magazine.